Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Mardi Gras & Cheer... That's what I've been up to!

Hello!
Mardi Gras is such a huge part of Louisiana, so growing up in Louisiana going to the parades and then getting to be apart of the parade with family is just such a blessing!
 
The first weekend of February my husband and I rode in the Krewe of Centaur Parade. It was an absolute blast! The weather was amazing! Our parade definitely had a record number crowd! Riders on our float including my husband and myself have worked on the float for months and it was so awesome seeing it ready to roll! Below shows our float in the staging area.
This year Krewe of Centaur celebrated 25 years!!!
Our theme was Centaur's Roadtrip and we decorated the float with past themes from over the last 25 years. So glad we were apart of this special celebration! Here's to many more CENTAUR!

The day of the parade we arrive around noon. Everyone brings food and we have lunch and hang out. Then we get busy... Awards get announced and then everyone has to be dressed and by their float for the float picture and the blessing of the float.
THIS YEAR WE WON QUEEN'S CHOICE!!! That means the QUEEN picked our float as her FAVORITE!
Here is our float LT, Jim waving the flag and showing his excitement for QUEENS CHOICE! I was so thrilled we won this b/c it was my third year riding and I had never gotten to experience the float winning! HAPPY DAY!


Above are pictures from the Blessing of the floats and a picture of the float across from us getting their group pic!

Above are pictures of floats in the staging area... we are getting closer to RIDE TIME!
My sweet family!
(FIL, Me, MIL, Grandma, Aunt, Cousin, Great Aunt, Hubby)
Fun Fact: My husband's grandma is the oldest rider of the krewe!

TOAST!!! To an awesome Float LT and having a great ride!

Oh you know... Selfies with the hubby are a MUST!
Our float just about to cross the line to begin THROWING!!!!
The time we have been waiting for!

I really tried my best to take more pictures this year. I mean I was successful at taking more pictures but the quality was not the best. Above is two different spots along the parade route.
This is one of the fun things we got to see along the route. We see a TON of cute kiddos too! Watching the kids yell "Throw me something mister!" is my favorite part.
 
One negative about this parade would have to be that we didn't have enough throws for the crowd! We will definitely improve that for next year. Each year I think this parade grows so much and it has really been such a joy to watch the past 3 years as a member of the Krewe of Centaur. I am not sure that everyone knows how much money, time, and HARDWORK is put into EACH FLOAT! Everyone that works on these floats has a HUGE heart for Mardi Gras.
 
 
The following weekend was a BUSY one... Saturday was CHEER COMP DAY! Anyone that knows about cheer comps knows that means somewhat of a long day.

Riley's team on the mat.
Riley in the VIP corner after they performed.
Awards. They just found out they won.........
YAY! These girls and boy WORKED HARD and they ROCKED their routine.
My girl with their banner!
They competed against six other teams. The LA REBELS have many different teams for different ages and levels and actually placed 1st in every division that competed! GO REBELS!
 
Sunday we road in another parade but this time with Riley and her friend. It's the Krewe of Highland. The parade is during the afternoon and is really geared towards kids! They throw a variety of different throws...beads, candy, stuffed animals, swords, cups, roman noodles, hot dogs, mood pies, and so much more! Riley's friend actually threw boxes of cracker jacks and I thought that was a HIT!
Riley and her friend ready for the parade to get rolling!



 
Some areas of the route were stacked rows and rows deep and others weren't so much. We really love getting to ride in this parade with Riley. I can't believe Mardi Gras season is over!
I guess all I can do is prepare for next year! Which we have already started brain storming improvements for our float for the upcoming year.
Fun Fact: We get to ride on the same float for both parades!
 
My little family.
 
-Lauren
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment